Sweet potatoes are peeled and sliced very thin, then stacked in layers in small ramekins or custard cups topped with a praline topping for a delicious and pretty presentation. Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish.
Sweet Sides are Easy to make and bake. This recipe Stacked Sweet Potatoes have a pecan, coconut praline topping that adds the best crunch to an already sweet side dish. Here’s how to make it this pretty side dish.
Slice thin layers of peeled raw sweet potatoes. Toss in melted butter and stack in a buttered ramekin. Bake 35 minutes or until done. Add the topping after baking 35 minutes of baking. The potatoes will shrink so really pack the potatoes into the ramekin. If you don’t want individual servings, place potatoes in a large 9 x 13 baking pan and bake as directed. Add topping the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent burning.
Sweet Potatoes with Praline Topping Recipe Below
Sweet Potatoes with Praline Topping Recipe
- Yield: 6servings 1x
6 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced to 1/8″
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, divided into 1 teaspoon per dish
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup dry oatmeal
1 cup light or dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted- optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease 6 ( 6 ounce ramekins or custard cups) with vegetable oil. Place on baking sheet and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients for praline topping, mix into a crumble. Set aside.
- Slice peeled sweet potatoes into 1/8″ slices. Discard ends and small pieces. In zip lock bag, combine sugars and potato slices. Shake to coat potatoes.
- Divide slices evenly among ramekins, overlapping slices to make a round shape following the shape of the cups. Layer 4 layers of sweet potatoes, add teaspoon butter, continue to layer slices extending 1/2″ above the top of ramekin. Top with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes covered with foil. Potatoes will shrink allowing room for topping. Remove from oven and add topping, packing it snuggly to the potatoes.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes. Cover topping with foil if topping begins to over brown.
- Remove from oven and serve
- To Serve: Invert ramekin onto individual plates or one large platter. Invert again so the topping is on the top side of the potatoes.
Tip: When inverting the dish allow the dishes to cool slightly then invert on serving platter or individual plates.
Don’t be surprised if the potatoes shrink after baking. Just make sure you add a lot of potato layers initially.