If you are like me, Valentines Day is a great time to show someone how much you appreciate and love them. Baking a batch of cookies like a Strawberry Linzer is the perfect way to express your appreciation. The cookies are made with butter, confectioner’s sugar, egg yolk, flour, sugar and flavoring and sandwiched together with jam. What makes this special is the cut out shape of the top cookie which reveals the pretty jam. T
This cookie is season-less, meaning you can change the center cut out with seasonal designs, depending on your linzer cookie cutters. I used a heart for Valentine’s Day. If you want to garnish further, sprinkle sifted confectioner’s sugar over the tops of the cookies right before serving. The cookies can be baked a-head and frozen for up to 30 days. Just freeze without jam for best results.
½ cup butter, softened
1/3cup confectioner’s sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup strawberry jam
Sparkling coarse sugar
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and confectioners sugar until light and creamy.
- Add egg yolk, lemon extract and heavy whipping cream.
- Add flour and salt to creamed mixture. Beat until combined.
- Shape dough into a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll out chilled dough to ¼ inch thick. Using a 1 3/4 –inch scalloped-edge round cutter, cut 24 cookies, reroll dough and repeat. Place cookies on baking sheet.
- Using a small heart shaped cutter, cut out center on 12 cookies. Bake tiny hearts on separate baking sheet if desired.
- Refrigerate cookies before baking for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake cookies 15-20 minute’s, do not brown tops or bottoms.
- When cookies are cool, spread ½ teaspoon jam between whole cookie and top with cutout cookie. Sprinkle coarse sugar or confectioners sugar on top of cookies. Serve immediately or freeze cookies with out jam. Let cookies thaw before filling.
Make something special to share this Valentine’s Day! Check out this other idea for Valentine’s Day. Enjoy!
About the Author
Liz Bushong is an expert in the three-dimensional art of entertaining. She transforms simple dining occasions into beautiful and memorable moments by adding a touch of her own “sassy” style. For the past several years Liz been entrusted to decorate the White House for several Holidays. She is a featured monthly guest chef/designer on WCYB TV 5, WSLS10-Daytime Blue Ridge and other television shows. Liz is the author of Sweets & Savories cookbook as well as past contributing writer for VIP Seen and Bella magazine. See recipes and ideas: lizbushong.com and social media. Liz is offering a free download of Black and White Creative Tablescape Ideas when you subscribe to lizbushong.com.